Post-Jazz Fest Humidity
Wondering what you might have missed this week or looking for a little bit of afternoon distraction? Check back every Friday for a selection of each week’s cool stuff that you might have missed.
Local Feature: Art Nouveau
If you haven’t heard of Where Y’Art, you’re sorely missing out. A locally curated online art marketplace, it was created by AIGA member Catherine Todd and Collin Ferguson. Additionally, CityBusiness writes, “For $35 per month, Where Y’Art offers artists access to professional photography, branding and marketing services.” Where Y’Art was also selected as a Propeller Fellow for 2013 and this year, participated in New Orleans Entrepreneur Week’s The Big Pitch and won the DDD arts pitch.
CSS Shapes 101
Originally introduced by Adobe, the CSS Shapes specification is a hot topic on the minds of front-end developers and interactive designers. A List Apart’s Sara Soueidan has written an introductory article that should enlighten you if you’re in need of a refresher on the current status and best practices.
What Your Graphic Design Style Secretly Reveals About You
What is your design style? A fun non-Buzzfeed style of list from Canva (a budding interactive design tool) frames the popular design styles of today.
Local Event Roundup
We’re at Facilitation: by Design today and we compiled a list of events for our visiting attendees to use to explore the city. Take a look below at all of the fun events happening tonight:
- Robin Barnes (modern Jazz) – Carousel Lounge at Hotel Monteleone, 5pm, free admission
- Friday Nights at NOMA: Classic Cinema in the Garden – New Orleans Museum of Art, Tickets: $6, 5-8pm with a Casablanca showing
- Death of a Salesman – Le Petit Theatre, 8pm, Tickets: $30-50
- The Ellis Marsalis Quartet (classical Jazz) – Snug Harbor on Frenchmen Street, 8pm and 10pm, free admission
- Meschiya Lake & The Little Big Horns (Jazz) – Little Gem Saloon, 8pm, tickets: $10
- Slow Burn Burlesque (neo-Burlesque) – Howlin’ Wolf, 9pm, Tickets: $15
- Johnny Sketch & The Dirty Notes (Funk) – The Maple Leaf Oak Bar
- Burlesque Ballroom (classic Burlesque with live Jazz) – Irvin Mayfield Jazz Playhouse at the Royal Sonesta, 12am, free admission